In Acts Chapter 1, we see a gentleman named Matthias who had accompanied the apostles from Jesus’s baptism to His ascension.
Matthias loved Jesus and had followed Him faithfully for years. After the death of Judas, the disciples recognized the void in their group. Peter, recalling Scripture, said, “Let another take his office” (v.20, NKJV).
The disciples considered two men, Joseph and Matthias. Then they prayed: “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen” (v.24).
“And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the 11 apostles” (v.26).
Matthias does not get much mention before or following this portion of Scripture. Nevertheless, we know he was faithful, serving God with all of his heart, even before he became one of the disciples. Not only did his peers recognize him as a candidate, but also God, who knows everyone’s heart and chose him.
In every opportunity the Lord brings our way, may we be like Matthias. May we serve Jesus, trusting that He will see, exalt and open doors that no one can shut.
1. May our hearts remain humble, not seeking opportunity, but seeking God.
2. May our trust be in God and not in our own works.
3. May we be reminded that the Lord sees all our private moments and that He alone knows our hearts and rewards our faithfulness.
4. Please pray for teachers, administrators and students as they head back to school. Ask God to place a hedge of protection around schools, and to inspire all teachers and students to learn and grow this year.
5. Pray for all Foursquare Church NextGen student ministries, that God would provide opportunities for leaders to shepherd and disciple students.
Share your thoughts. See comments below, and add your own.