Melinda Kinsman, consultant for Ministry Architects and children’s ministry expert, hosted a workshop at Foursquare Connection 2023 on the following fundamental question: “How can I grow my leadership and steward my ministry in the manner that is most likely to form a lasting faith in children and families within this challenging culture?”
Just as physical training requires intentionality, so does building a personal ministry philosophy. The philosophy is “your deeply rooted values that drive your decisions.” This workshop equips leaders in five general categories to build a ministry philosophy. Below are the resources for each category as well as the full recording of Melinda’s helpful workshop.
Leaders are encouraged to focus on one category for a season, move on to another and repeat. With intention and time, the Holy Spirit will shape your ministry values, providing you with the “why” behind every decision in your ministry, ensuring what you do is rooted in strong, biblically based values that are focused on forming a lasting faith in those you serve.
“How can I grow my leadership and steward my ministry in the manner that is most likely to form a lasting faith in children and families within this challenging culture?”
Children’s discipleship resources
- Emotionally Healthy Leadership (podcast) – Episode: “3 Counterfeits of Emotionally Healthy Spirituality” with Pete Scazzero
- Children’s Ministry in A New Reality This report by Barna, in partnership with Awana, is available for purchase.
- Children’s Ministry in a New Reality (a recording of a Barna webinar)
- Intentional Family (podcast) – Jefferson Bethke and Jon Tyson
- Habits of the Household: Practicing the Story of God in Everyday Family Rhythms by Justin Whitmel Earley
- Faith At Home Institute – Parenting resources from Mark Holmen
- The Importance of Biblical Literacy in Children’s Ministry (podcast) – from Cross Formed Kidmin
- Tiny Theologians discipleship tools for children ages 2 to 12
- Resource download for establishing your child’s identity in Christ from Faith at Home
- Josh Denhart’s Leading Volunteers (podcast)
- The Lead Volunteers podcast from Lead Ministry with Josh Denhart
Program + curriculum
- Child Discipleship Podcast with Awana President and CEO Matt Markins; Episode: “Cultivating a Rhythm of Child Discipleship in our Churches and Homes”
- Ministry Spark – website with “inspiration and resources for today’s children’s ministry leader.”
- The Good Book Company – international Christian publisher with helpful resources for leaders, kids and families
- Rich Melheim and his Faith5 strategy (This website includes helpful updates and resources available for purchase.)
- DIVE at School Curriculum – Curriculum to reach elementary schools
- Awesome Summer Project Curriculum – Curriculum designed to get your kids involved with missions through the ministries of the Children’s Gospel Box.
Foursquare Connection workshop resources
This article was adapted from the “Growing Your Children’s Ministry Discipleship Muscles” workshop, hosted by Melinda Kinsman at Foursquare Connection 2023. You can find the workshop audio and resources below.
- Listen to the entire workshop
- Download the workshop PowerPoint presentation
- Download the workshop notes
- Download the worksheet: “Intentionally Shaping My Children’s Discipleship Philosophy“