Acts 6:1-6 has all the makings of an early church staff meeting. First, the disciples gathered everyone. They clarified their job descriptions, talked about the complaints of the week and, lastly, wrapped it all up with prayer.
The practical aspect of this passage gripped me. The early disciples were so sure of their calling that they refused to be deterred. Verse 2 says, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables” (NKJV). The complaints that arose did not change their calling; they highlighted the need to raise and release leaders.
After a recent crisis trying to figure out who I am in this season, I am becoming more aware of the areas of my life where I have allowed complaints and expectations to shape my calling.
Let’s be bold enough to say yes to nothing less and nothing more than what the Lord has called us to.
This Week’s Prayer Focus [5 in 5]
1. Pray for wisdom and discernment in your calling.
2. Pray for people who are full of the Spirit and wisdom to be part of your ministry team.
3. Pray for rest in God’s presence and awareness of His unconditional love for you.
4. Pray for safety and wisdom for the citizens of our country as we head to the polls tomorrow for Election Day.
5. Sunday is Veterans Day. As we honor all those who have served our country so selflessly, let’s lead others in prayer, thanking God for those who serve, and praying protection over them and their families.
Share your thoughts. See comments below, and add your own.