The early church patiently waited for it, fought for it, had to defend it and made huge cultural concessions for it. They also knew that Jesus had called for it, modeled it and prayed for it.
The early church understood that unity was mission-critical. It changed their world—and it will change ours, if we are committed to it. May it be as important to us as it was to them.
As we gather for our annual convention, we have the gift of uniting together from many different regions and walks of life. What a privilege it is to unite in Him and to gather in His name!
Consider today, in what ways are you working to contribute to unity? In what ways are you causing division? Ask the Spirit to guide you today.
Reflect + Pray
1. Ask the Lord to show you any ways you might be causing division in your church community. Repent, and ask Him to guide you toward peace.
2. Think about those in your life who have been committed to unity. What did they do differently? Ask God how you can be a person who unites in your relationships.
3. Pray for a summer of rest and joyful renewal. Ask the Lord to provide times of refreshment and fellowship within our families and churches.
4. Please pray for Foursquare Connection, which begins today. Ask God to bless all the speakers who will share with us, to minister with the Holy Spirit in our times of worship and fellowship, and to orchestrate our presidential election and church business in Nashville, Tenn., this week.
5. As we elect a new Foursquare Church president tomorrow, pray that God would lead voters to choose the right candidate according to His will.
Share your thoughts. See comments below, and add your own.