When David transitioned his role to Solomon, it’s encouraging to know that it was done with intentionality and built with a sense of securing continuity of leadership, and with an eye toward future success. David knew there were things he wouldn’t get to. David understood Solomon would lead differently, with a fresh anointing and assignment from God, concerning the future of those he was called to lead.
President-Elect Randy Remington and I have already begun to collaborate together, pray together and seek the Lord’s direction as we anticipate our movement gaining greater traction during this transition. David believed that Solomon would take things further than he did or could have (and that’s exactly what happened). That’s my deep conviction. This is the right season, and the right person to lead us forward.
This communique will be sent on a monthly basis through next August. It’s designed to keep you informed of the progress we’re making, as well as draw your attention to some significant things on the horizon that we all would want to know about.
Randy was able to join us at our summer board intensive in Los Angeles. It was critical to have him there as he gains context for where we are, historical understanding of past decisions, and together we begin to dream forward. There is no reason for loss of momentum. Randy can immediately begin to speak into any sense he has of the future. He was also able to join our team in Denver to pray and discern the Lord’s direction for specifics related to Foursquare Connection 2020, where our focus will be the fourth theme around the message of Jesus, our Savior, Baptizer, Healer and Soon-Coming King.
This year we will celebrate our Soon-Coming King under the theme “Compelled by Jesus.” Everything will focus on preparing the church for His return and committing every effort to reach everyone with the gospel. We also plan to precede our Connection with a Global Summit. This will bring leaders around the world to pray and strategize how we can labor together toward finishing the Great Commission.
Randy has also been spending important time transitioning Beaverton Foursquare Church to its next pastor. That process is going well. Randy’s last Sunday at Beaverton will be October 27, and Pastor Brad Williams and his wife, Cheri, currently pastoring Summit Church (Spokane III Foursquare Church) in Spokane, Wash., will assume the pastorate of Beaverton Foursquare on November 3. There’s obviously much work to do to prepare this resource church and its staff for that transition. Be in prayer for them, as well.
We head into the fall with a significant focus on district conferences and Randy’s participation. He will be at eight of our district conferences. I’ve already heard such great feedback from his first conference with the Pacific Southwest District. A powerful quote from Randy’s message was, “Praise shifts the focus, and prayer shifts the burden.”
I love how we’re doing this transition. It’s healthy, unifying and critically important. God has anointed Randy Remington for this season to lead our movement. Please keep Randy and Sandy in your prayers daily.
Watch Video of Randy + Glenn
During the executive team retreat in September, Randy and Glenn took a quick video to provide an update on how the transition is going so far.
Upcoming Calendar Dates for the President-Elect
- Oct. 9: North Pacific District conference
- Oct. 11: Distrito Hispano Del Suroeste (Southwestern Hispanic) District conference
- Oct. 14: Heartland District conference
- Oct. 15: Northwest District conference
- Oct. 17: Foursquare Missions Press annual partnership gala
- Oct. 27: Randy Remington’s last Sunday at Beaverton Foursquare Church in Oregon
- Nov. 3: Brad + Cheri Williams’ first Sunday at Beaverton Foursquare Church
- Nov. 5: Presidential inauguration of Angie Richey, Life Pacific University’s 11th president
- Nov. 5-6: Meeting with the Foursquare Endowment Committee and Resource Development Committee in Long Beach, Calif.
- Nov. 22: Northeast Atlantic District conference
Three resources Glenn Burris Jr. is enjoying this week:
- Brian Dodd’s emails are worth subscribing to; I especially enjoy his top 10 lists, which are on a new topic each week. Subscribe here or follow Brian on Twitter @BrianKDodd.
- Carey Nieuwhof’s article “5 Signs you may be losing your edge as a leader” is worth a read. Also subscribe to Carey’s leadership email, his Leadership Podcast, and follow him on Twitter @cnieuwhof.
- Your Move by Andy Stanley is a video series that helps you make “better decisions and live with fewer regrets.” Prefer to listen? Subscribe to the podcast version of Your Move. Follow the series on Twitter @YourMove.