What would God say to pastors like me who are constantly worried they’re blowing it?
I think He would say something like what my mom told me during a baseball game when I was 10.
Our team was one win away from the championships. I was pitching, and I gave up three runs in the first inning. I was bawling. My mom pulled me aside.
“Mom, I blew it,” I said. “It was all up to me, and I blew it for everyone.”
“Ronnie, go pitch your heart out. If you win, great. If you lose, I’m taking you and your buddies to get pizza after the game.”
That startled me. “Really? Even if I screw it up?”
“Yes! You’re loved and covered either way. Go for it!”
We came back and won.
Should we strive for victory for the kingdom of God? Of course. But know that even if you “blow it,” He delights in you, and you have a righteousness that comes not from the law, but “through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith” (Phil. 3:9, NKJV).
You’re loved and covered, either way.
This Week’s Prayer Focus [5 in 5]
1. Do you feel pressure to perform in your walk with the Lord? Do you constantly feel like you’re letting God down?
2. How would it change things to know that God delights in you, wants to bless you, and that He sees you as righteous—even when we “blow the big game”?
3. How has God shown you favor and kindness, despite your inadequacies and failures? Let’s worship and thank Him for His infinite love and grace!
4. Please lift up those in The Foursquare Church’s Pacific Southwest district who have been affected by the eruption of Kīlauea on Hawaii’s Big Island. Ask the Lord to protect lives, homes and communities, and to provide comfort and resources for those who have already been displaced. Please also lift up the volunteers with Foursquare Disaster Relief, who are serving up to 1,000 meals per week.
5. Pray for the safety of all those experiencing extreme weather conditions in The Foursquare Church around the globe. Ask God to calm the storms, cool the heat and protect His children from harm.
Share your thoughts. See comments below, and add your own.