Harold Helms Recommends:
John Amstutz Recommends:
1. Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit (David C. Cook) by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski. I recommend this book especially for pastors and church leaders, because Francis Chan’s life and ministry reflect a reversal of the tragic neglect he mentions in the book’s title. Chan, author of Crazy Love and former pastor of Cornerstone Community Church in Simi Valley, Calif., contends that we are reaping disastrous results from ignoring the Spirit. He compels us to stop and remember the One we’ve forgotten.
2. Doing What Jesus Did: Ministering in the Power of the Holy Spirit (Creation House) by John and Sonja Decker. John and Sonja Decker are ordained international teachers and evangelists with The Foursquare Church. This book, along with its companion curriculum, The Ambassador Series, is being used worldwide to equip Christians in the work of the ministry. It will be particularly beneficial to pastors, church leaders and other church workers, as it has proved to be effective in reviving the ministry of the Holy Spirit and His gifts.
3. Holy Spirit Empowered Small Groups: Shaping, Equipping and Releasing Spirit-Formed Believers (Foursquare Media) by John and Sonja Decker. Here is another book by the Deckers that I recommend for small-group leaders, as well as pastors and church leaders, for its context in developing and ministering in the spiritual gifts. Anyone wanting to learn more about the work of the Holy Spirit should also read this book. It explores all aspects of beginning and maintaining a small group that is empowered by the Holy Spirit, and is packed with testimonies and real-life applications.
4. Discover Your Spiritual Gifts: The Easy-to-Use Guide That Helps You Identify and Understand Your Unique God-Given Spiritual Gifts (Regal)by C. Peter Wagner. I recommend this practical book for church members, as well as pastors and church leaders; it is the most widely used resource for helping believers discover their spiritual gifts. It can help you to both discover your gifts and learn how to use them, and it explains the difference between spiritual and natural gifts. C. Peter Wagner is the president of Global Harvest Ministries and chancellor of the Wagner Leadership Institute.
5. The Beauty of Spiritual Language (Thomas Nelson) by Jack W. Hayford
6. They Speak With Other Tongues (Chosen Books) by John and Elizabeth Sherrill
7. The Flaming Tongue: The Impact of Twentieth Century Revivals (Moody Press) by J. Edwin Orr
8. Experiencing the Holy Spirit (Whitaker House) by Andrew Murray
9. A New Song (Charisma House) by Pat Boone
10. The Holy Spirit and You: A Study Guide to the Spirit-Filled Life (Bridge Logos) by Dennis and Rita Bennett
11. This Is That: Personal Experiences, Sermons and Writings (Nabu Press) by Aimee Semple McPherson