The vital life of Jesus’ words in John 7:37-39,
If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me,
as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.
This He spoke of the Holy Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive;
…are Jesus’ announced means for achieving Matthew 16:16-19.
On this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail
against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and
whatever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and
whatever you loose on earth will have been loosed in heaven.
As Lord of the Church, Jesus Christ has announced His “strategic plan” for His Church. His intent is to build a prevailing force, penetrating and overcoming evil’s dominion, with a Holy Spirit-filled people to whom He entrusts spiritual dynamics for ministry.
Within His global commission to evangelize the lost and disciple those who believe, each Foursquare leader is appropriately called to review and renew our commitment to lead with the Savior’s plan and priorities in view.
I invite every leader among us and any who would join us, to unite under Christ’s call and vision; clarifying our identity and pointing the way to our expansion. Thereby, let us continue, still growing as “a family”–a denomination, as we broaden to becoming “a force” as a movement.
Identity determines who and what we are: it is foundational and deterministic.
- Mere multiplication without defined identity is essentially love without marriage. Our goal is not to grow churches but to grow people; thereby, to partner with Christ as He builds His Church.
- Establishing a clear grid of concepts that unite us, while enfranchising the variety of methods employed among us, provides common bonds in God’s truth—our faithfulness; as well as embracing bands in God’s love–our fellowship.
- Releasing creative ministry, we evangelize with culturally relevant means, without sacrificing eternally significant objectives.
- Remaining constant in mission, we seek to shape disciples–enabling a people who replicate Jesus’ life, love and ministry through the Holy Spirit’s power and God’s Word of truth.
Expansion must begin by overcoming obstacles of existing preconceptions, intimidation and isolation.
- There are preconceptions that our denomination “exists to exist.” This is true wherever leaders see relationship as based on requirements rather than on servicing and strengthening their ministry.
- Intimidation exists wherever leadership’s “authority” is exercised as “power over,” rather than the leader’s ability to empower those being led.
- Isolation exists wherever we view our church as an island rather than as a bridge. We deserve to be renewed in the founding vision; that Foursquare is a message and a movement, not an ecclesiastical entity but a spiritual rallying point, not a corporate business by a dynamic fellowship.
Lifting Up Our Eyes…looking at the fields of harvest and opportunity.
Our call as a family is as Abraham’s seed, to be a blessing to all the earth–every people, every nation. As an “international, interdenominational denomination,” our formal structures exists to advance, not limit, our spiritual mission: To proclaim the full dimensions of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to grow people in Him as He builds churches–groups of people who reflect His character and replicate His ministry in truth, love and power wherever they are.
Let us band to lead
The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
“The Interdenominational Denomination”
We are an ever-expanding circle of Christians, alive in God’s Spirit!
Our Name says “Solid,” our Lifestyle says “Advancing,” since our birth being
“Dedicated to Worldwide, Interdenominational Evangelism,”
Proclaiming Jesus our Lord as Savior, Healer, Baptizer and Coming King.
We’re a forthright, forward-focused family
Our history’s importance is its power to shape our future,
founded in 1923, we are youthful in passion; matured in vision.
Our vision is to be consistently shaped with…
…Dimension, as a People with global goals, because
The World is more than an American suburb
…Depth, as People of spiritual substance, because
The Truth is more than an optional idea
…Durability, as a People of proven passion, because
The Church is more than a contemporary plan
We’re an open-hearted, mission-minded fellowship
An expanding circle of people committed to worshipping God’s Son,
reaching with God’s love, growing in God’s Word, empowered by His Spirit.
Our values are reflected in…
…Our Message: We are Christ-exalting, Spirit-driven, Bible-balanced
Our Convictions root in the ultimate not the transient
…Our Mindset: We are God-centered, People-motivated, Leader-building
Our Constants are worship, evangelism and discipleship
…Our Manner: We are Grace-based, Prayer-prioritizing, Servant-hearted,
Our Commonwealth and Union is spiritual, not institutional