This article is archived. Some links and details throughout the article may no longer be active or accurate.

The U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement has nine voluntary agencies (VOLAGS) to connect overseas camps with the U.S., and these agencies are an enormous resource for anyone who wants to get involved. This can range from volunteering at a local resettlement agency, to fostering children separated from their parents, all the way to successfully hiring refugees for your company. VOLAGS are your point of contact for learning more about government requirements for refugees and immigration laws.

U.S. Voluntary Refugee Resettlement Agencies

The U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement endorses nine federally funded voluntary agencies that serve as a bridge between overseas offices and camps and the U.S. These are called VOLAGS. Find one near you.


U.S. Map of Refugee Resettlement

Volunteer opportunities vary from state to state. The U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement provides a handy location tool for each of the nine voluntary agencies (VOLAGS), presenting ways to get involved: fundraising, advocacy and awareness, mentoring a refugee family or volunteering at a local agency in your area. Find the closest local resettlement agency to where you live.


Hire Global Talent

Do you own a business? Do you work for a business? Refugees are documented to work as soon as they hit U.S. soil. Discover the benefits when companies hire refugees. CNN Money and the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants team up to show how business owners can help refugees while helping their business and their community.


How to Help Refugees

Want to help, but have questions? Review these FAQs on how to get involved in U.S. refugee resettlement. Created by the International Rescue Committee.


Unaccompanied Refugee Minors

The U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement offers opportunities to serve as foster parents to refugee children separated from their parents, temporarily or permanently. Several U.S. cities, in conjunction with either the United States Council of Catholic Bishops or Lutheran Refugee and Immigration Services, host programs to effectively place qualified children.


Reuniting Refugee Families: Legal Q+A

When a refugee asks for your help to get their family to the U.S., don’t forget about government requirements and immigration laws. Not sure what those include? Foursquare immigration coordinator Joe Gosha offers case-by-case recommendations.


Leave a Reply